Sent from my iPad

On Dec 13, 2017, at 11:13 PM, Stephen Celis <stephen.ce...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2017, at 9:53 PM, Erica Sadun <er...@ericasadun.com> wrote:
>>
>> Chris L had a beautiful solution for an "Unwrappable" protocol that allowed
>> all of the optional sugar to be extended to any type that had a biased
>> `Wrapped` item, allowing it to be used with `Either`, `Wrapped`, etc as well
>> as form the basis for `Optional` itself.
>>
>> protocol Unwrappable {
>>  associatedtype Element
>>  func unwrap() -> Element?
>> }
>
> It would definitely be nice to make "Optional" sugar work for non-"Optional"
> types! (I think the goal for "async"/"await" is to make it work for any
> continuation, so it's basically Haskell "do" notation for Swift!)
>
> I'm not sure the "Unwrappable" protocol can handle many of the examples I
> mentioned (accumulative errors, parallelism), though I wonder if it could be
> designed differently to do so. The applicative structure requires just 2
> functions[1]:
>
>    protocol Applicative<A>: Functor<A> {
>      static func pure(_ value: A) -> Self
>      static func <*> <B>(lhs: Self<(A) -> B>, rhs: Self) -> Self<B>
>    }
>
> Such a protocol isn't possible in Swift (yet),

Thanks for jumping in and elaborating on a more general approach!  I don’t want
to sidetrack the thread, but it actually is possible to encode higher-kindred
types and protocols requiring them in Swift today.  It’s a bit clunky and
requires some boilerplate but the technique is worth knowing.
https://gist.github.com/anandabits/f12a77c49fc002cf68a5f1f62a0ac9c4

Some Kotlin folks have created a pretty robust FP library using the same
technique: http://kategory.io/.