From: Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM
To: Jim Malak <jim.ma...@beryle-lee.com>
Cc: "swift-users@swift.org" <swift-users@swift.org>
Subject: Re: [swift-users] Question out of curiosity: why "func"

On Apr 4, 2016, at 7:25 AM, Jim Malak via swift-users
<swift-users@swift.org<mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

My background going into Swift was everything but JavaScript.

Have you used Ruby or Python, both of which use a “def” keyword before a
definition? And come to think of it, I think most non-C-derived languages use
some sort of keyword before a function definition. Just to name two language
families, LISP uses “def” and Pascal uses “function” or “procedure”.

So C (and C++ and Java and C#…) may be the oddballs here in not using a
keyword, along with some functional languages.

One thing I often wondered about (usually every time I forgot to type it) is
what purpose does requiring the keyword “func” serve when defining or decaling
a function in Swift. I am not a compiler expert but intuitively it would seem
that the function signature could be readily recognized by the complier and
people alike with the presences of the ()’s at the end.

I can’t speak for the details of Swift’s language grammar. I do know that
adding not-strictly-necessary redundancies like this to a grammar is very
useful for helping the parser understand the intended meaning of a syntax
error, and thereby producing a meaningful error message. (This is one of the
reasons C++ error messages can be notoriously unhelpful: the syntax is so
complex with so many possible ambiguities, that the error message may refer to
a language construct that you weren’t even intending to use.)

—Jens