On 2017-09-05 06:01:55 +0000, Georgios Moschovitis via swift-users said:

Hi,

I would like to parse an RSS feed using Swift 3.1 on Linux.
I tried to use Foundations’s XML but I only managed to get segmentation faults.
Is this supposed to work on Linux? I have only seen examples on iOS.

Apart from that a quick search didn’t reveal any useful XML parsing library compatible with Linux.

Any suggestions?

-g.

XMLParser is a SAX-based parser, which is optimized for memory-usage. There's also XMLDocument, which is DOM-based and is optimized for developer convenience. If the XML files you're reading are small, i.e. few megabytes, DOM-based is usually the easiest way to handle such documents. XMLDocument is also implemented in Swift-Foundation, but I found that it was lacking too much functionality (e.g. namespacing). The situation might be different now -- you could check the source for `NSUnimplemented()`.

Other options is to link libxml2 (C library), however that requires much more effort on your end -- it doesn't expose high-level API's such as XMLDocument.

--Bouke