[Apologies for cross posting]

Hi all,

we are happy to announce the release of SMW 1.4.0. For details on the new
features, upgrade, and installation, see
 http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMW_1.4.0 (a brief summary is below this
email). In addition, the new version also fixes a lot of minor problems and
long-standing bugs and feature requests.

If you consider updating a wiki that already runs SMW, you may wish to wait a
few days until some further SMW extensions have also provided 1.4-compatible
releases. Semantic Forms (SVN) is already compatible, Halo is expected to be
released soon. Also, the format "timeline" is now part of the add-on extension
"Semantic Result Formats" that is currently available in SVN, but which will
soon get a file release as well.

Big thanks to all who contributed to this new version, either as developers,
translators, or dedicated users! We are happy about feedback (we don't want to
run out of open bugs, do we? ;).

Cheers,

Markus

== SMW 1.4.0 Release notes ==

See http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMW_1.4.0

* Easier installation, upgrade, repair:
  Special:SMWAdmin now has a control for refreshing the wiki data online.
* Better Type:Date
  ** much larger range of dates, covering all of human history
  ** internationalisation, support for localised date formats in input
  ** support for single year numbers in dates
  ** incomplete dates handled properly
* Query for page modification date using Property:Modification_date
* Full integration of "special properties" such as Property:Has_type
  ** can be queried in #ask, and printed in printouts
  ** usable in all browsing interfaces
  ** display uses of properties on property page
* Improved parsing process
  ** avoid data loss in unusual circumstances
  ** much better compatibility with other parser extensions
* Shorter and cleaner code
* Extended translations
* Many bugfixes

--