OK .. I do not know enough about how modelToView is used by Swing
to know what is really needed here. Someone with a bit more Swing
background needs to chime in. I was encouraged that the *API* surface
of the changes was much smaller than it had seemed from the webrev
but maybe that is because you did not include everything. For example
although they are just subclassing the method overrides in PasswordView
since that is a public class would become part of the spec .. would they not ?
Just like the "int" counterparts today :-
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/swing/text/PasswordView.html

Put another way I was looking for what the content of the CCC would be.

-phil.