The fix looks good to me.

Thanks,
Alexandr.

On 9/16/2016 5:34 PM, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:

On 15.09.2016 16:11, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:
On 15/09/16 15:03, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:

On 15.09.2016 12:49, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:
On 9/15/2016 11:47 AM, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
On 14.09.2016 21:00, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:
On 9/14/2016 6:41 PM, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:
On 9/14/2016 1:48 PM, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
Hello,

Please review fix for JDK9:

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ssadetsky/8154043/webrev/

The new RadioButton group focus traversal algorithm introduced by JDK-8033699 doesn't take into account that group of radio buttons can be lay-outed in several lines in container. In this case the LayoutFocusTraversalPolicy may mix radio buttons of the same group with other components in its focus traversal order and break the assumption used in BasicRadioButtonUI#getFocusTransferBaseComponent() that radio buttons are sequenced in the focus policy order.

The fix propose to treat a group of toggle buttons as a single focus cycle entry in the LayoutFocusTraversalPolicy which order is determined by the first toggle button in the group.
Should the test for the fix JDK-8033699 test/javax/swing/JRadioButton/8033699/bug8033699.java be updated as well?
Is it possible to move the focus from the current radio button to the next component which does not belong to the current radio buttons group by pressing tab key? For example in the test FocusCycleRootTest from the issue description, moving the focus from the first and the second radio button to the text field 1 and from the third and the fourth radio button to the text field 2.
It is possible. But then the group will get focus second (or more) time during the cycle. Seems, this is not correct because option in the group has already been selected.
It is not clear is it correct that pressing an arrow key selects a radio button in a group. For example each radio button selection can trigger some action. So trying to select the latest radio button it is necessary to move the focus from the first button to the last by arrow keys so radio buttons in the middle will also be unnecessary selected. Usually the space key is responsible to a button selection.
I did not get the concern. Arrow buttons are aimed to cycle all buttons group consequently. Tab key should move focus outside the group. Space key doesn't change focus.
Also it looks inconsistent when the second option is skipped in the cycle while the third is not.
This is because the tab key is pressed which can move the focus from the group and back. The arrow keys are used to move the focus in the group. It preserves the tab key behavior before the fix 8033699 except radio buttons in the group.
Group of options can be treated as one control which should be visited only once during single cycle. Because it is more correct from usability point of view: if user has made a selection it is unnecessary to return to this control again. Also what do you propose seems to contradict the 8074883 which requires only one selected option to be focused always in the group.
I see the point that the group of buttons should be treated as one control from the focus point of view. I read the description of the JDK-8033699 but it is not still clear to me is selecting a radio button by pressing an arrow key follows to the industry standard?
In native apps and in browsers it works that way.

One more question which I have relates to a group of radio buttons there no one of them is selected. Should tab pressing moves the focus to the first button or to the latest one which has been selected or just using standard focus order for components?
It is not good style to leave all radio buttons unselected in one group. I think the first one should be selected in this case.

Also, yes, the test/javax/swing/JRadioButton/8033699/bug8033699.java should be modified. The updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ssadetsky/8154043/webrev.01/

--Semyon

  Thanks,
  Alexandr.