> This PR supersedes #2223.
> The original PR was created from master, whereas this PR is created from a
> fresh branch.
>
> Below is a copy of the original description, but as @mrserb correctly
> [pointed
> out](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/2223#issuecomment-767048399), there
> is actually no relevant change from CSS 2.1 to CSS 2.2, so I <strike>striked
> out</strike> that part.
>
> ### Original Description
>
> @prsadhuk asked me to take over his pull request #1628, since I filed the bug
> an suggested this fix.
>
> I thought the current behavior would be buggy, but actually the units are
> quite precise. I checked the size of a text in font-size of 1 in, and it
> really was approximately 1 inch. The problem is just that browsers behave
> differently.
>
> <strike>
> Swing follows the CSS 2.1 spec:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#length-units.
> But in CSS 2.2, length units where redefined:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS22/syndata.html#length-units.
> Now px is also an absolute unit, and there are constant conversion factors
> between all absolute units.
>
> The CSS 2.2 spec includes the following two notes regarding this change:
>
>     Note that if the anchor unit is the pixel unit, the physical units might
> not match their physical measurements. Alternatively if the anchor unit is a
> physical unit, the pixel unit might not map to a whole number of device
> pixels.
>
>     Note that this definition of the pixel unit and the physical units
> differs from previous versions of CSS. In particular, in previous versions of
> CSS the pixel unit and the physical units were not related by a fixed ratio:
> the physical units were always tied to their physical measurements while the
> pixel unit would vary to most closely match the reference pixel. (This change
> was made because too much existing content relies on the assumption of 96dpi,
> and breaking that assumption breaks the content.)
>
> So the spec changed the behavior to better support high-DPI devices with
> existing content, and that is exactly my intention with this PR as well.
> </strike>

Matthias Perktold has updated the pull request incrementally with three
additional commits since the last revision:

 - Remove unnecessary import
 - Remove unnecessary JFrame creation
 - Calculate conversion factors rather than hardcoding them for better precision

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2256/files/9560d9c7..db90d0a7

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=2256&range=04