imagine this imaginary conversation with an ISP help desk:

helpdesk:       "good day sir. how can i help you?"

customer:       "help - my internet and my ADSL line is not working anymore."

helpdesk:       "does your phone is working?"

customer:       "no, not at all - i'm calling you from my mobile."

helpdesk:       "did you checked the cablings? is the plug inserted correct in
the walljack?"

... 2minutes of rümschelrümschel... we hear an 'outch' - seems the customer
banged his head against the table or so...

customer:       "<little bit dizzy>yes, i've taken it out and plugged back in -
but still no signal"

helpdesk:       "hmm.. let me check your line - " ... <tiptiptip> ... "yes, i
dont see any signal on our side - it could be that you have a psysical access
problem"

customer:       "no, i'm not challenged!!!"

helpdesk:       "i mean that your physical line of the t-e-l-e-p-h-o-n-e might
be interrupted / broken somewhere. you know, the thin cable ..."

customer:       "what should i do? call an electrician?"

helpdesk:       "no, we will open a ticket at <put in your favorite last mile
provider or:> the local telco".

... some days later ...

helpdesk:       "good day sir. we've got now feedback from the local telco
company. your line should be fixed within the next days"

customer:       "what is it?"

helpdesk:       "lets call it problem with the last mile access..."

customer:       "... which means?...."

helpdesk:       "well... it seems that someone stole your wire?"

customer:       "sorry, i'm disturbed.. he stole what??"

helpdesk:       "as you might have heard the price increase for copper has lead
some criminals to pick exiting copper lines which are digged in the street...
some made a fortune with copper lines..:"

customer:       "this would explain why my electrian had to put in new
electrical-cables - they might have disappeared some days ago... i had no power
at all... "

customer:       "... and my internet was not working ... thats why i called you"

helpdesk:       <speakless>

otherwise..please refer to "the internet help desk" (old but always good :))
http://www.mrmouse.ch/fun/video/wesmonocable.mov

-steven

ps: plz reserve in your agenda the 17th of july - next ZH beer event will be
planned for this date :)