Good Morning

[..]

It is a general thing. I would have thought swiss ISPs
buying a bit more selective based on rtt and peering being
local or close by. Disclaimers apply left and right, for
you know who I am etc. But I am really surprised, believe
it or not.

yes we do care about rtt - but we can't ignore the prices.
it's the usual trade-off :-(
If you have to pay twice the price for peering transit as for full transit the decision is clear - at least from my point of view.

Think about it this way - before there were 2 ISPs you had
with 'interesting' domestic peering policies. Now you have
three... I could bet with you these three do not react so
much about traffic over their upstream unless it is some
500m sustained...? I speak of experience, in a way
[..]

in the past it showed, that this "bad" domestic peering policies even brought customers to our network. You can very well explain the peering policy of a big domestic ISP to your own customers and earn their sympathy and support.

Regards

Nik