Tobias Goeller wrote:
> Well, In my point of view this makes about the same sense as if we'd
> take the decision to start up something like a new standard for
> inter-ISP-communications (ever thought about IPv7, maybe IPv7.25?) - for
> switzerland only.

Actually, in .nl this is done. All the "known" ISP's have registered
MX's. This way one can whitelist those MX's in the local anti-spam
system: http://noc.bit.nl/dnsbl/nlwhitelist/

It is indeed not very scalable, but it avoids the blacklisting of a
complete ISP.

There they also have a system for dutch-wide anti-virus: VirBL
http://virbl.bit.nl/

I am pretty sure that they (BIT et all) are willing to cooperate with
you folks on setting something similar up for Swiss providers and most
likely also to exchange lists to make it beneficial in usage.

For that matter, what about a big Inter-NOG, thus Swiss, Dutch, German,
Austrian, Italian, French, Polish etc ISP's all coming together in a
place with an ample amount of beer and other such things!?
They call that NANOG in the US.... can it be done in Europe?

> This would just move the source of the problem to another point - but
> would not help solve the problem: SPAM.

The current way is really only: SpamAssassin.
At least it limits the spam coming into your mailbox.

You can't control the whole Internet, thus you can't control SPAM.
As long as there is $$$ to be earned spammers will exist, whatever trick
they will use, they will get spam to stupid people who will buy their
products or get tricked into giving out their account information.

A next step which might be going to work quite well is DKIM.
Both Yahoo and Gmail are already using and many ISP's are following.

Greets,
 Jeroen