We use the "good old" pager which has some advantages:

 - it works always, doesnt matter where you are (in switzerland indeed)
 - you dont forget you have pikett ;-)
- you make clear who has pikett (as long as you have it, you have pikett)
 - you hear it (even your neighbors can hear it :P)

but for sure, there are some disadvantages:

 - its kinda big
 - yet another device

Our alerting system goes over a Siemens GSM box linked with serial to a server. Works like a charm ;-) And for the pager you can simply send SMSes, just keep in mind you're limited to 80 chars on the pager.

Pascal