Hi all,

we've seen a lot of new users coming from a link which leads to your
discussion about
UCEPROTECT-Blocklists from November 2007.

This is to those that were ranting about our listing policies:

Yes you were promoting us, even if that was not your intention.

First we have to say that UCEPROTECT is not ONE blocklist there are three
different hard lists, so
that our users can select how "hard" they want to block.

While we have not seen anyone whining about Levels 1 and 2 here, we have
seen lots of nonsense
here about our Level 3.

Here is our point of view on all the wrong claims we have seen here:

UCEPROTECT-Level 3 (which is the highest possible escalation for learning
resistant providers)
lists a complete AS, if there are at least 0.2% of all IP's under the
responsibility of the provider spamming
within the last 7 days.

That might sound hard but in fact 98% of all providers have less than these
0.2% spammers per week.
Chances to stay off our Level 3 are absolute equal for all providers.

Most stay below 0.05% spammers per week, and it is very easy for any
provider to limit abuse, if he really wants.
I can say this because i was working in a Swiss providers abuse departement
for years before i got
the job of the technical diector at the UCEPROTECT-Project Germany.

It is pure nonsense that some here were wrongly claiming we want providers
money to delist them.

As soon as a provider's abusers go below that 0.2% within 7 days their AS
leaves Level 3 automatically
and FREE OF CHARGE.

So all a provider must do to get delisted is to limit the abuse coming from
his networks and ranges.

Let's talk about Sunrise AS 6730:

http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?asn=6730

Sunrise is not a BIG provider, it is more like a small to middle size one.
They have a total of 494848 IP's and they were responsible for a total of
1578 abusers within the last 7 days.
That translates to 0.319 % of their total IP's are spammers.

Let's compare that to AOL AS 1668 (which is really a BIG provider):

http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?asn=1668

AOL has a total of 6319104 IP's and they were responsible for a total of 51
abusers within the last 7 days.
That translates to 0.001 % of their total IP's are spammers.

That brings us to the interesting question:
How many abusers would Sunrise host, if they would be so big as AOL?

That question can be answered by looking to another notorius spam supporter:

Infostrada AS 1267 (At this time ranked as the No 6 of the worlds worst
spammerhaevens):

http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?asn=1267

Infostrada has a total of 6206464 IP's and they were responsible for a total
of 18616 abusers within the last 7 days.
That translates to 0.3 % of their total IP's are spammers.

That should tell you that Sunrise and Infostrada are doing something VERY
WRONG, while AOL does it right.

AOL blocks all outgoing connection from their dynamic IP's to destination
port 25 if that destination is not their
own smarthost. That makes the game over for all those trojan infected
home-user machines.

If Sunrise or Infostrada would be interested in that YOU (THEIR PAYING
CUSTOMERS) would be able to send mails without
problems, they would simply also have installed port 25 blockers at their
dialups.
They had time enough since November, but they have chosen to just ignore the
problem.

The question is: If AOL and other hugh providers can prevent massive abuse
coming from their ranges,
why can providers like SUNRISE or INFOSTRADA not?

Let's talk about accuracy of UCEPROTECT-Level 3:

At this time we have a total of 300+ "Providers" listed at UCEPROTECT-Level
3.

I guess some of you have heared of the international well known Anti-Spam
Guru AL IVERSON from Chicago USA.
He monitors about 50 well known international blocklists for accuracy and is
publishing the results.

Let's have a view on his independent statistics of UCEPROTECT-Level 3:

http://stats.dnsbl.com/uce3.html

What does that statistics tell us?

Those 300+ lame "Providers" which got it to end up in UCEPROTECT-Level 3 are
responsible for 50 + % of all global spam,
but almost no real mail is coming from their networks and ranges.

So instead of whining about "the bad guys at UCEPROTECT" you should better
use your energy to call your provider
and get loud on the phone: You pay him to get access to the internet, but in
fact he can just give you access to those places
not blocking him because of his spammy behavior.

That means: Your problem is not UCEPROTECT. We just lift the finger and show
people who is responsible for spam.
Your problem is, that your provider really believes that you will tolerate
that he is active supporting spammers.

Those using UCEPROTECT-Level 3 for blocking exactly know what they are doing
 because we tell it to them:

See here: http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=3&s=5

We are also telling providers how to not end up in UCEPROTECT, but some have
really other interests than stopping spam.

See here: http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=4&s=0

If all providers would stop playing Quake and install the 4 steps we
recommend in the link above, then spam would be history
or at least decrease to the the level it had in the early internet years.

That is what we and our users want to happen. Nothing else.

Thank you.

Claus von Wolfhausen
UCEPROTECT-Network