From: Marco Fretz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [swinog] Content delivery system like Akamai?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:38:08 +0200

Hi everyone,

I think most of you now Akamai and how they deliver 20% of total
internet content traffic...

This looks like a good explanation:
http://research.microsoft.com/~ratul/akamai.html

Has anyone tried to build a system similar to Akamai? I should be
possible to build it, in a smaller way of course. Some modified named
(bind) servers, Squid, etc.

>From my point of view, Akamai does the right thing: Why try to have lots
of peerings, good transit connnections, etc. when you can serve the
content directly out of the most popular ISP networks. They don't need
their own network infrastructure for content delivery services (hosting).

Is here anyone interested in this topic? Anyone has time and interest to
build, "research" and test a "small Akamai" hosting system?

My idea is in general:
- 2-3 providers (one of you?)
- each ISP "donates" 2-3 servers for the project (physical or virtual)
- find a modified bind and squid or rebuild it to do this Akamai-like
"DNS and url magic"
- write a lot of shell scripts for monitoring, etc.
- test the bunch of magic with our company sites :P

... but maybe I'm just crazy and you might simply ignore this post :-)

thanks, have a nice day
best regards
 Marco