Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
[..]
> I am a heavy users of those RBL lists, they offer quite a bit of
> protection (but not as much as you might think, and with

You should use RBL's only for *scoring*; not for decision making and
then directly rejecting based on it.

> quite a few false positives: greylisting is much more efficient).

Greylisting only delays mails. Proper spammers just use ISP relays and
then they will try forever. Or they will just nicely do the full SMTP
thing for the first message and try again later, or stall sending to you
as the 450 is recognized and spam run you again later. So many easy ways
around it and it only causes annoyance.

On top of that, I guess you have whitelisted large mail providers like
gmail who try to send a single mail from several IP's, thus hitting your
greylist over and over again, and then just giving up? :)

[..]
> The last issue I had recently is with Yahoo delaying some of the
> messages sent to mailing-lists I host, I had to go through an
> interesting procedure during the last few months to be able to
> get the opportunity of maybe getting delisted, including a Privacy
> policy (http://www.alphanet.ch/privacy_policy.html if you
> are interested).

When you send mail (or packets for that matter) to a remote site, that
remote site can deny/filter/mangle those packets every way they want.
As long as you are a smaller fish then them and you want to still
deliver packets/mail to them you will have to comply to their rules.

But as you are doing greylisting yourself, why are you complaining about
another little bit of delay? ;)

As always, it is your site, thus any problems you make for yourself are,
well, made for yourself ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen