There seems to be some FUD here.

Heise did a story yesterday with some more details, but it looks like
the provider ended the contract due to ToS violations. In this case it
would be normal to return control of the domain to DeNIC.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Wikileaks-de-Denic-wehrt-sich-gegen-Sperr-Vorwurf--/meldung/136096

It's hard to say who's right, or who's telling the truth, but
protesting to DeNIC does not seem appropriate at the moment.

Protest may become the right action, but not before all the facts are
available.

Chris