Hi Flavio

Flavio Tischhauser wrote:
> Hi Thomas
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 15:53, Thomas Kernen <tker...@deckpoint.ch> wrote:
>> So for me there is no question the loop is functional and am trying to
>> figure out how to get the loop retested. It is clear to me that in the
>> VDSL modem Swisscom sets the profile to have a min of 10db margin and
>> optimal is considered 12dB. So I strongly suspect the line could be
>> retrained at a higher rate
>>

> The first thing you need to do is check the "technical bandwith" using
> the xDSL checker:
> http://xdsl.vadian.net/check.aspx?xdsl=xdsl&reg=WSUB7EU7
>
> This should give you a rough idea on the max profile that swisscom
> considers possible using some figures like line distance etc. If it is
> significantly higher than what you are seeing (based on your inital
> data, the final profile might be set down to 8000/1000), you can
> usually get the issue investigated. If the line has really gotten a
> lot better since the test started, you should be able to request a new
> "test phase" through support (you might have to argue that you have
> optimized your in-house cabling since the last test, that seemed to
> work well for others). You might have to wait for the current test to
> end (up to 2-3 weeks in total) before that.
>
> The last step would be to open a speed ticket and get someone from
> swisscom to look at the DSLAM, switch you on a different cable etc. Of
> course this is only possible if the line checkers promise a lot higher
> speeds and you would get charged for the costs if the issue is in your
> in-house cabling. Best way to prevent this is to hook the modem
> directly to your HAK.

Thanks for the suggestions. So the link to the DSL checker is for ADSL
only as far as I can tell. And yes the profile is higher via the
Swisscom checker. And there has already been a case filed with Swisscom
due to the dial tone outage, which they fixed (and that is when the line
quality significantly improved in terms of dB margin and attenuation).

I guess I have no choice but to wait until the next automated test to be
performed.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Thomas