On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:58:07 +0200, "Christian 'wiwi' Wittenhorst"
<w...@progon.net> said:

> Solution:
> Routing to 138.190.0.0/16 was broken (blackholed at upstream), so both
> (dns[12].swisscom.com) were not reachable.

Ok, but I'd still say that you have a problem with your IPv6
connectivity.

> I will have to spend some time on the inner workings of dig...

Yes.  Think about it.  If you do a "dig swisscom.ch. ns @a.nic.ch",
you're only asking, well, a.nic.ch.  The Swisscom name servers are not
involved at all.  Therefore, your issue with 138.190.0.0/16 has
*nothing* to do with the problems you've described in your first
message (but everything with your customer's problem :)

So, let me elaborate a bit on your dig output.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:50:17 +0200, "Christian 'wiwi' Wittenhorst"
<w...@progon.net> said:

> (820)[r...@svn /tmp]# sh ch
> dig swisscom.ch ns @A.nic.ch
> ;; Got referral reply from 130.59.1.80, trying next server

> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> swisscom.ch ns @A.nic.ch
> ;; global options:  printcmd

> dig swisscom.ch ns @B.nic.ch
> ;; Got referral reply from 130.59.211.10, trying next server

This is not standard behaviour of dig.  It appears that RedHat has
applied a patch that makes dig skip to the next server in its search
list if it encounters a referral, which is totally bogus.  In
particular, it appears to only be in effect if the search list
contains multiple entries (otherwise, it wouldn't display anything in
the IPv4-only case either).  Please use a regular version of dig for
diagnostics.

It also appears that your dig is not strictly preferring IPv6 over
IPv4.  That's why, for dual-stacked servers, you sometimes see the
"Got referral reply" message (IPv4 first then IPv6, which then times
out) and sometimes "connection timed out".  In the latter case, the
initial IPv6 query will time out.  There should be a retry with IPv4,
which should actually succeed, but maybe the RedHat patch breaks this,
too (the result is still a referral, of course; maybe because the
stupid patch even has a bug when the search list has more than one
entry and falls off the end of the list).

--
Alex