On 27 Apr 2012, at 12:01, <john.coll...@bit.admin.ch> wrote:

> Hi again Swinog members,
>
> Many thanks for the many informative replies.
>
> Some or maybe most (random sample) of the /48s in the routing table are not
> PIs - needs further analysis

See GRH (http://grh.sixxs.net) for that as it flags all announcements that do
not match the allocated size, there are many of them, sometimes even /64s or
even longer pop up.

> Regarding the PI suggestion, what do we do with customers who will never have
> an own AS and will never be dual homed?   Do they have to "resign" to using
> Provider space - with renumbering when they change Provider.  Or is there
> another way?

You could tunnel from their border to you and be the provider for them that way.

Also in your case it is likely that these networks are all in .ch, I would not
be surprised if Swiss ISPs are willing to accept more specific non-export
prefixes for these networks.

> I know of this document which seems to tolerate /48 prefix propagation (even
> if the case described is not exactly our case)
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-532.   Does this document mean anything to
> SPs out there?

Filtering policy is always per network, it is their network after all, thus
some do accept more specifics but many do not, which is why folks recommend to
either not do it or at least have a covering route to make sure that filter
still can reach it. Do note that if your prefix gets filtered at some but not
all networks i is likely that paths are suboptimal as the where back in the
6bone days. As others mentioned be sure to register the appropriate route
objects.

I do tend to wonder how some networks receive a prefix if they have obviously
not done due diligence on checking if they needed PA or PI and how their
customers would fit in their network, especially given the point that one
generally has to provide a proposed network plan so that one is going to
request the right kind of prefix and size. Obviously that "every LIR gets a
/32" rule is not the best in the set especially when the LIR is not looking a
what he actually need...

Greets,
 Jeroen