Hi benoit,

we've had a couple of such queries from CH-banks in the last few years.
We've been usually asked for our ip ranges, and if they can be used from a
foreign country.
e.g. DSL ip ranges which are used for CH-subscribers.
Dialup-ranges (which can be used from remote) was noted as 'non-Swiss'
range.

-steven

IP
> addresses to customers outside switzerland and that the IP address the
> customer is using is operated in switzerland and cannot be used from
abroad
> or assigned to customers outside switzerland.
>
> I got in contact with one of those bank's security department to explain
> them, that of course we correctly register our IP ranges at RIPE and that
no,
> we cannot guarantee that our customers do not operate VPN or Proxies etc,
> which would make it possible to use IP addresses from abroad. And of
course
> we have business customers with branch offices all over the world which
> could be using their IP Range to route part of it outside switzerland to
such an
> office.
> I wanted to know why the information about ranges as registered @ RIPE are
> not good enough for the FINMA and how we could positively answer the
> question that we do not assign IP addresses to devices outside
switzerland.

> I was told, that there apparently are plenty of ISP in Switzerland, which
assign
> 'foreign' IP addresses to their customers and that there are also
switzerland
> based ISP which use their 'swiss' IP allocations to provide internet
access to
> customers located outside switzerland, which causes legal problems if such
> an IP is used to access servers run under FINMA policies.
>
> This is why FINMA requests that an ISP confirms that he uses his IP
addresses
> exclusively for CPE located in switzerland. they
>
> Hmm, I wonder.. which ISP do operate IP address ranges in switzerland
> which are registered at RIPE to some other entity not located in
switzerland?
> Which Swiss ISP do offer services outside Switzerland using IP Ranges that
> are registered @ RIPE with Country: CH?
>
> Or have I found a 'papiertiger' policy written by someone with no clue how
IP