Good Morning

At SwiNOG-30, I was approached by several people, praising the merits of
SmokePing and also wondering when version 3 will come out. I was happy for the
praise, but did not have any concrete announcements for a new version, beyond
bugfixes.

So that got me thinking ... would there be sufficient support among SwiNOG
members to raise the money for writing Smokeping version 3?

Here is my feature shortlist:

 * non-blocking polling engine - by using an event loop at the heart of the
polling engine, smokeping becomes much more scaleable, as it can wait for many
probes to return information in parallel without forking, thus reducing the
memory impact.

 * interactive charts as shown in the demo at SwiNOG without

 * a responsive UI working with mobile devices

 * the ability to pull in target information from a database

My current estimate creating this rewrite of is around 50k CHF.

If you are willing to chip in, and if you have requirements of your own, please
be in touch.

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch t...@oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902