Hey Jeroen

> A single IP will only hit you a few times... typically below the
> threshold of standard fail2ban or other alarm bells.
> The distributed scanner will keep on trying by using another IP from
> their vast botnet...
Well, from experience I cannot confirm that at all. Apparently, there are still
a lot of script kiddies out there or less sophisticated attacks going on.
Fail2Ban sure helps with those.

If you want to use it in a more aggressive way you can also combine port
knocking with fail2ban and ban source IPs the first time they "misbehave".

> The big question: Why is that SSH port open to the world ? :)
Depends on the use case. I second your opinion when it comes to best-practices
but I am also running a couple servers with SSH open to the world because I
don't have, need or want an extra jump host at that location to access a single
system for example. So there are reasons.

Cheers,
Manuel

--
Manuel Schweizer