Hi List

Lately we received mass advertizement emails sent via protonmail.com an
email provider offering freemail and commercial email accounts.

One of the first statements on their website is:

Quote:
"ProtonMail is incorporated in Switzerland and all our servers are
located in Switzerland. This means all user data is protected by strict
Swiss privacy laws"

So I suppose, as we other ISP all do, they have to keep logs for 6
months and are required to somehow verify the identity of their
customers prior to offering them a service.

So I asked them to provide the identity of their 'mass advertizement'
sending customer to ask this customer for a proof of opt-in or existing
customer relationship, as intended by swiss privacy laws.

They promptly terminated the account in question, but stated that they
do not keep any logs and have no means to identify whom the account
belongs to.

=> is this legal?

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon-
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden