Hi,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the in-
convenience, we have caused for other ISP's. I have
to admit, that th communication with the other ISP's
was not sufficient.
To improve this situation, here again the technical
contact for problems regarding our Mailservices:

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax.:  +41 1 277 95 12

To prevenrt further rumoursrumors regarding the cause
of the measures we were taking in the last days, here
a brief overview of what hapenedhappened in the last
days:

Starting on Monday 19th, we had a huge amount of traffic
due to dictionary attacks. We were fighting with ten to
fifteen Million requests for mail addresses, composed of
common German first- and  second names. A connect started
as an ordinary smtp-Session, was sending five to ten rcpt to:
sequences, collectingthe responses and did not terminate
the Session cleanly.
As our Mailsystem was close to break down, we decided to
take strong measures against these attacks. First we started
with refusing mails from Servers without a reverse entry
in the DNS. Although this helped quite a lot, we were still
totally overloaded.
In this situation, we had to start blocking IP-Ranges to
guarantee the mailservice. We tried to block only dynamically
assigned IP addresses, to minimize the impact on other users.
Unfortunately, this was not always possible to achieve in the
speed of blocking IP Ranges required to keep our systems
alive.

kind regards

Robert

Robert Meyer            Tel.:   01 846 59 45
System Administrator    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cablecom GmbH

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/