Girls and Boys

Let me tell you a fairy tale. Once upon a time, it was summer and the birds
were singing in the trees, there was a telco, who chose to replace some
cabling in their telephone exchange. Unfortunately, they made a mistake and a
leased line service went down. Suddenly, the birds stopped singing and the
sky was overclouding.

Since it was a friday afternoon, and the SLA for that leased line was just
"standard", this telco wasn't aware, that they had made a mistake.
Fortunately, the guys who were impacted by this outage, made the telco aware
of this failure and asked them politely to fix the problem as soon as
possible.

The telco agreed to fix the leased line immediately. Of course, they would
charge 1'600 gold pieces to the stupid guys who dared to ask, to do it
immediately. Remeber - it was just a standard SLA. And why would anyone use a
leased line on a weekend? Some poor telco engineer had to travel far, far
away to that exchange and fix the line on friday evening, when he could have
spent some quality time with his wife and children.

So, dear girls and boys, what can we learn from this? If you want to get rich
quick, you have to break stuff, and then let someone pay you to fix it in
useful time.

Thanks for your attention,
Viktor

--
Viktor Steinmann - System and Network Engineer
Easynet AG, Hardturmstrasse 135, 8005 Zuerich, Switzerland