Yes. Can't remember exactly how it works, but DSpace first looks to see
what kind of package has been sent, if its a Mets package it then looks
to see what schema is specified and fetches the appropriate crosswalk.
So yes, you should be able to add a crosswalk for schema "my".
Alternatively I suspect you could specify a schema of "DIM" and you
might be able to avoid having to provide a new crosswalk, but my memory
may be failing me here.

One minor issue, the Sword server should advertise what package types it
will accept and that should probably include specifying what schema are
allowed. However, this part of the spec has been generally ignored up to
now so I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers, Robin.

On 31/01/12 12:45, Hayden Young wrote:
> Hi Robin
>
> Thanks for the comprehensive answer.
>
> So I did some more digging in the config area today and it appears there
> are a number of mappings in the crosswalk directory, so I'm assuming for
> my "my" schema example, I would set up any new metadata element
> references in one of the crosswalk config files?
>
> Cheers
>

> Hayden
>
> On 31/01/12 17:39, Robin Taylor wrote:
>> Hi Hayden,
>>
>> I am not an expert on this but I believe there is no obligation to use
>> a particular metadata schema within the Mets package. Whilst building
>> the Mets package you set the Schema and this is used at the DSpace end
>> to find an appropriate crosswalk to translate the metadata. The
>> problem with setting the schema to something unknown (such as "my" in
>> your example) is that you would need to provide a new crosswalk at the
>> DSpace end. You could consider using DSpace's own internal schema DIM.
>> I think that if DSpace sees an incoming package with the schema set to
>> DIM it assumes that no translation is required. I can't remember the
>> details of how to do it but I have tried this in the past and been
>> able to import the likes of dc.contributor.author.
>>
>> Sorry, all a bit vague. For an example of a Java class building the
>> Mets package have a look at
>> https://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/trunk/dspace-sword-client/dspace-sword-client-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/sword/client/DSpaceSwordClient.java.
>>
>> Cheers, Robin.
>>

>> On 31/01/12 02:25, Hayden Young wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm in the process of implementing a small PHP program that will deposit
>>> items into my DSpace repo via Sword v2.
>>>
>>> My question is; am I able to specify qualified dublin core elements via
>>> dcterms? For example, how would I use the addMetadata method to specify
>>> dc.contributor.author, or dc.identifier.isbn?
>>>
>>> Also, how are custom schemas handled during the deposit? For example, if
>>> I had a schema called "my" and an element "customIdentifier", how would
>>> I package my submission so that it would include the metadata value for
>>> my.customIdentifier?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Hayden

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.