Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 1:19 AM
Subject: [sword-devel] Need Greek Help on Diatheke

Hello,

I need help on the word "diatheke" and "diatitihemia" in Hebew 9:16.  Does anyone know Greek really well?

I found this written by someone named Keith, quote:  One recent example is research I have done on Paul's use of diatheke in Gal 3.15-25 (please forgive my poor transliterating I usually type in Greek). Recent commentaries have surfaced the idea of a will or testament in favor of the traditional OT covenant term for v. 15.  However, the word used for
ratify (kurow) is only found in Galatians and a few oxyrinchus fragments.
Predominantly, other language is used when diatheke means a will, unquote.

What I'm interested in is does "diatheke" mean "will" in this specific chapter in Hebrews 9:16?  Or does it mean "covenant" like the Hebrew word "berith"?  The last part of Keith's sentence reads:  "Predominantly, other language is used when diatheke means a will."

This is what I need to know.  Is this "other language" in Heb. 9:16 that means a will?

Thanks,
Tiza