This is just a guess, but I suspect it is not being used anywhere by anyone. SWInputMethod was basically for customized input methods of a very basic sort. For example, input ' to the IM and get א out. (HebrewMCIM, if it isn't clear, takes Michigan-Claremont Hebrew encoding and outputs Unicode.) The use for this would be on systems without an OS-wide non-Latin IM switching method, or in the case where we just don't want to use or implement IMs using the OS-supplied methods.

SWInputMethod could probably be implemented using ICU transliterators, which would likely be a bit slower and would add a requirement of using ICU. But doing so would mean not having to write a bunch of classes like HebrewMCIM for each IM we want to support.

Troy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original purpose of SWInputMethod and HewbrewMCIM was for a collaborative editor for Project "eL" (cf. http://www.xml.com/pub/r/915).

</historyLesson>

If we really don't intend to use any of this any time soon, it would probably be a good idea to pull it out of the library, since it's just taking up space. Or maybe you had an idea for a use for it?

--Chris