This is a good summary of how we conduct ourselves in general and how we want to conduct ourselves.

Thanks Nic.

Peter

On 11/11/12 23:13, niccarter wrote:

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in US law to any degree. I just want to pick up
on one thing Greg mentioned:

Those works ARE subject to Copyright
unless their authors or publishers have explicitly released them from
Copyright.

The way to make sure that everything is above board and that we are beyond
reproach and honouring Christ is to go the extra mile and ask the
authors/publishers for explicit permission to distribute (either personally, as
Andrew appears to desire, or corporately, as I gather CrossWire would be
interested in) their works.

There are two purposes:

1) If the publishers are intending for anyone and everyone to freely copy their
works with attribution, perhaps along the lines of CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 (defined at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ), then they will appreciate
the goodwill and the relationship would be beneficial in glorifying God. AND
they will freely and quickly grant access. :)

2) If the publishers are more restrictive, according to what others are stating
copyright law entitles, we can pray that they are happy for their works to be
distributed in a non-profit way with their blessings/permission.  :)

Looking at both sides of the fence, I believe it won't hurt to ask. Who is
"right" is irrelevant in this outlined proposal.

For His Glory, ybic
        nic...  :)