Sorry for taking a while to reply!

I bumped into this issue with iOS a few months ago and then ran out of time to
fix it. “Recently” (months ago?) Chris added some more dependencies on ICU into
SWORD and iOS chokes on that. When I look for:
<unicode/ucnv.h>
it can’t find it. The available headers under iOS are:

~ 🍉  ls
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS7.1.sdk/usr/include/unicode

localpointer.h putil.h        umachine.h     utext.h        utf_old.h
parseerr.h     uchar.h        uregex.h       utf.h          utypes.h
platform.h     uconfig.h      urename.h      utf16.h        uvernum.h
ptypes.h       uiter.h        ustring.h      utf8.h         uversion.h

(This is for iOS 7.1, which was the current version at that point, and the
version of ICU included is reported as "51.1")
If I have time, I’m going to #ifdef out the stuff Chris added that breaks the
build under iOS so that I can continue to use the built-in ICU rather than
having to roll my own for iOS. But due to a lack of time right now, PS is
sitting there needing about 1 hour of work, plus a fix for the above error,
before the next version is released. However, me #def-ing out new code that
Chris added is a band-aid fix, as he’ll probably add more funky features that I
then won’t be able to use :( Then again, perhaps I’ll have handed PS over to
someone new by then & that can be their problem to fix? :) :)

I don’t have the OS X components required to check how similar this is for OS X
(installed on this machine, that is), but this is the current situation with
iOS. Perhaps that helps you, perhaps not? :) :) :)

Thanks, ybic
        nic…  :)

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iOS Bible Study app
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pocketsword
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078