Hi Troy!

1) Getting the list of books in a module

vector<string> ModuleHelper::getBookList(string moduleName)
https://github.com/ezra-project/node-sword-interface/blob/master/src/sword_backend/module_helper.cpp#L70

A small comment, there are different styles of book names:

VerseKey::getBookName()

VerseKey::getBookAbbrev()

VerseKey::getOSISBookName()

The first two are localized to whatever language you have set for the engine, e.g.,

LocaleMgr::getSystemLocaleMgr()->setDefaultLocaleName("fr");

Thanks! I'm actually using my helper method getBookList to get a list of books that are like "ids". In this case I'm happy with the getOSISBookName method. In any case there are several usecases, so thanks for highlighting this!

2) Getting a map with the number of verses per chapter per book

std::map<std::string, std::vector<int>> getBibleChapterVerseCounts(std::string moduleName);
https://github.com/ezra-project/node-sword-interface/blob/master/src/sword_backend/module_helper.cpp#L92

I am note sure I condone this behavior here :)  If you found a need to do something like this because you couldn't easily use the suggestions below, please let me know and maybe we can fix something or extend functionality to meet your needs.

If you ever want to know how many Books, Chapters, Verses, etc. are available in a reference system, these should serve that purpose:

VerseKey::getTestamentMax()

VerseKey::getBookMax(), once you set the testament

VerseKey::getChapterMax(), once you set the book

VerseKey::getVerseMax(), once you set the chapter

At the time when I wrote that function I didn't realize that I could use VerseKey to determine max values of chapters/chapter-verses per book.
Thanks! I may actually refactor my code now based on your hint.

To give you some context how I use this function ... in Ezra Project, this is currently used in three places.
1) NavigationPane => Getting the number of chapters for a book
2) I have a "verse range formatter", that needs the verse count per chapter to work correctly. 3) In my TagStatistics function I calculate percentages relative to the total number of verses in a book.

Best regards,
Tobias