UNSW Philosophy Seminar
Tuesday, 6 October
12:30 – 2:00
Morven Brown 310

Dejan Simkovic
“Hume’s Account of Moral Distinctions”

Abstract:
In this talk, I introduce a new interpretation of Hume’s understanding of the
roles that reasoning and sentiments play in the apprehension of moral
distinctions — that is, in the process whereby we become aware of how strictly
opposite individual moral qualities like good and evil stand in relation to one
another. I argue that moral distinctions are intuitively apprehended relations
between moral ideas. To reveal this long neglected aspect of Hume’s account of
moral distinctions, we must disentangle the meanings he attached to terms he
used to refer to individual moral qualities on one hand, and ‘moral
distinctions’ and ‘moral distinguishing’ on the other, all of which he used
with a degree of looseness. This analysis of Hume’s language enables us to
establish that Hume’s sentimentalist account of the origin of the apprehension
of distinct instances of moral qualities is related to, but nevertheless
separate from, his account of the origin of the activity of distinguishing
between two such tokens. While the apprehension of moral distinctions depends
upon the agent’s having a distinctively moral sentiment in the “breast” (THN,
468-69), it also requires input from the imagination and intuitive
understanding. Thus despite Hume’s sentimentalism about the detection of
individual moral qualities — that is, his commitment to the claim that we
perceive moral qualities like virtue and vice through feeling moral sentiments
only (which must not be confused with his account of the complex process of
moral evaluation) — his explanation of the apprehension of moral distinctions
appears to be hybrid in nature, partly rationalist and partly sentimentalist.
This argument allows us to fill a lacuna in scholarship on Hume’s moral
epistemology, which has viewed Hume’s account of moral distinctions either as
essentially sentimentalist in nature or as not clear enough to allow a coherent
interpretation.

Dejan Simkovic is Associate Lecturer in philosophy at the University of Notre
Dame Australia.  He received his PhD from the University of Sydney in 2015 with
a dissertation on Hume’s ethics.
---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: