[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0/images/4fed6c6d-233b-48a1-a3f9-8d84bd306ae5.jpg]


SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE

RESEARCH SEMINAR
SEMESTER TWO 2021
MONDAY 11th OCTOBER  2021
FROM 5PM





Zoom URL:
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/87994238748<https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/87994238748?from=addon>
Meeting ID:
879 9423 8748



[https://mcusercontent.com/377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0/images/7a73ff10-2b19-b957-3486-5cc20da40acc.jpg]
Simine Vazire
Professor
Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
University of Melbourne
Is Science Self-Correcting? The Case of Social and Personality Psychology
 How a field responds when its credibility comes under serious threat is an 
important marker of its commitment to scientific values. The 2010s were a 
turbulent decade for the field of social and personality psychology. Failures 
to replicate, fraud, and evidence of questionable research practices all 
contributed to a crisis of credibility. What has the field done in response to 
this crisis, and what would a true reckoning with this crisis look like? I 
first discuss how the field's response to the crisis unfolded, from my 
perspective as a researcher, journal editor, and board member of several 
professional societies in the field. I then discuss what the field could do to 
establish its credibility. I propose two markers of a commitment to 
self-correction. First, we should undertake careful metascientific studies of 
the field and change our norms and practices to address any problems 
identified. I describe one such study, my lab's Surveying the Past and Present 
State of Published Studies in Social and Personality Psychology (SPPSPSSPP) 
study. Second, we should examine why our quality control mechanisms - namely, 
peer review - failed to prevent such a crisis, and what should be done to 
improve quality control and reduce the chances of future catastrophes. I 
describe several developments in peer review that may help.

Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your 
preferences<https://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/profile?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=__test_email__&c=ffba64536e>
 or unsubscribe from this 
list<https://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=__test_email__&c=ffba64536e>







This email was sent to 
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
why did I get 
this?<https://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/about?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=__test_email__&c=ffba64536e>
    unsubscribe from this 
list<https://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=__test_email__&c=ffba64536e>
    update subscription 
preferences<https://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/profile?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=__test_email__&c=ffba64536e>
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science · University of Sydney · Sydney, NSW 
2006 · Australia

[Email Marketing Powered by 
Mailchimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&afl=1>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common 
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page:

https://mailman.sydney.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/sydphil

Reply via email to