'Intentionality de se and the Problem of Self-Consciousness', UNSW Philosophy 
Seminar, 26th October 12:30pm to 2pm, Online
Speaker: Carleton B. Christensen, UNSW
Abstract: In this paper I will present and diagnose what Kristina Musholt, in 
her book Thinking of Oneself—From Non conceptual Content to the Concept of the 
Self (MIT Press, 2015) calls the problem of self-consciousness. This is in fact 
a very old problem, one reaching from Shoemaker and analytic philosophy on the 
one side, Henrich and the Heidelberg School on the other, through Sartre and 
phenomenology back to Fichte. My goal is to identify the assumption generating 
it and argue that it is false. I will end by sketching, in admittedly very 
hand-waving fashion, what this means for the notion of self-consciousness. My 
argument presupposes some understanding of the central thesis of my 
research—the thesis of intentionality inherently de se —so I begin by 
elaborating the four claims constitutive of it.
About the Presenter: I completed a B.A. (Hons) in Philosophy at Latrobe 
University in Melbourne, Australia. I then completed a M.A. at the 
Goethe-Universität, in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. I also received my Dr. Phil. 
from the Goethe Universität, with a dissertation on Searle’s Theory of Speech 
Acts supervised by Karl-Otto Apel and Jürgen Habermas. I taught at the ANU from 
1993 until 2000, then at the University of Sydney until 2007. In 2008 I 
returned to the ANU, where I remained until August, 2019. Since then, I have 
been doing research at the University of New South Wales.
In the past, I have worked on German philosophy of the late 19th and early 20th 
centuries, particularly, the phenomenology of Husserl and Heidegger; and on the 
philosophy of technology and sustainability. My current research, however, is 
much more mainstream analytic and focuses on the concept of intentionality de 
se.
For further information email: [email protected]
Link for registration below.




https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/intentionality-de-se-and-the-problem-of-self-consciousness-tickets-190115559757?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=escb
[https://img.evbuc.com/https://cdn.evbuc.com/images/165388259/249384207571/1/original.20211012-044557?w=1000&auto=format%2Ccompress&q=75&sharp=10&rect=0%2C82%2C4014%2C2007&s=fa89229a8de5ab3d5ed056b92cb7955b]<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/intentionality-de-se-and-the-problem-of-self-consciousness-tickets-190115559757?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=escb>
Intentionality de se and the Problem of 
Self-Consciousness<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/intentionality-de-se-and-the-problem-of-self-consciousness-tickets-190115559757?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=escb>
Philosophy Seminar Series 2021
www.eventbrite.com.au

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common 
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page:

https://mailman.sydney.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/sydphil

Reply via email to