Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion
Webinar Series which will be held on Jun 9, 2022, at 4pm CET with the topic:

IBN SINA & BOLZANO: TWO CONTINGENT ARGUMENTS
Speaker: Kordula Świętorzecka<https://sites.google.com/view/kswietorzecka>
(Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University in Warsaw, Poland) and Michał Pawłowski
and Bartosz Wesół (University of Warsaw, Poland).
Chair: Marcin Trepczyński<http://naszestrony.eu/trepczynski> (University of
Warsaw, Poland).

Please register in advance!

https://www.logicandreligion.com/webinars

Abstract: In 2014, Petr Dvořák put forward a hypothesis about structural
convergence of two cosmological arguments: by Avicenna and Bolzano. Indeed,
both arguments are based on the notion of the whole (totum) of all
contingent/conditioned individuals, different from the notion of the classical
set containing them. However, the authors differ in their attitude to the
impossibility of regress ad infinitum. Our goal is to reconstruct Avicenna's
argument on the basis of modern unitary theory of sets and individuals and
compare this reconstruction with the Bolzano’s argument already expressed in
the same formal frame. The lecture will be followed by the talk "God and
Timeless Cognition", by Michał Pawłowski and Bartosz Wesół, the winners of the
second Kurt Gödel Award 2021.

With best wishes,

Francisco de Assis Mariano
The University of Missouri-Columbia
LARA Secretary
l...@logicandreligion.com<mailto:l...@logicandreligion.com>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: