School of History and Philosophy of Science
RESEARCH SEMINAR
[The University of Sydney]
[https://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net/20240818/2e/6d/8d/6a/21e76fe705cd5d657bd5b348_1276x730.jpg]
Miscomputation as a Type of Malfunction

Nir Fresco (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev)

Dates: Monday, 26/08/2024
Time: 5:30pm
Venue: F09.331. Madsen Building. Madsen Seminar Room 331
How to register: Free, no registration required

Abstract: When representation fails, it results in misrepresentation; likewise,
faulty computation
leads to miscomputation. Theories of representation that also explain
misrepresentation are
abundant. By contrast, theories of computation, we will argue, do not likewise
explain
miscomputation. Despite its significance for understanding physical computation
and its
theoretical role in explaining abnormal mental phenomena, surprisingly few
works have
characterised miscomputation explicitly (e.g., Colombo, 2021; Fresco &
Primiero, 2013;
Piccinini, 2015; Tucker, 2018) . When miscomputation occurs, a system computes
a different
mathematical function, g, rather than the normal function, f (i.e., there
exists at least one input i
such that g(i) ≠ f(i)). Normative accounts of computation, whether semantic or
mechanistic, face
a dilemma: either there is no such thing as miscomputation, or it cannot be
explained. A key
contentious claim here though is that miscomputation, unlike standard
malfunction, is a form of
computation. A system that does not compute cannot miscompute (Tucker, 2018) .
In this talk,
we will outline the dilemma, defend the preceding contentious claim, and
propose a potential
initial solution.

Bio: Nir is an associate professor at the department of cognitive and brain
sciences, at Ben-Gurion University of the Negevת and the principal investigator
of the Epistemology and Cognition Lab. Most of his work is in the foundations
of cognitive neuroscience, philosophy of computation and information, and
philosophy of mind. One branch of his research focuses on understanding—from
informational and computational perspectives—how information processing
contributes to our cognitive life. To that effect, he studies the explanatory
roles computation and information play in cognitive neuroscience. Another
branch of research, which is undertaken in the Lab, combines philosophical and
behavioural methods to study the relation between automaticity, habit
formation, and skill acquisition in humans.

[https://images.e2ma.net/0/images/templates/spacer.gif]

[The University of Sydney]
Keep in touch
[Facebook]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/4008kze>
[Twitter]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/kt18kze>
[Instagram]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/0l28kze>
[LinkedIn]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/ge38kze>
[YouTube]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/w638kze>
Copyright © 2024 The University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Phone +61 2 9351 2222 ABN 15 211 513 464 CRICOS Number: 00026A

Please add hps.ad...@sydney.edu.au to your address book or senders safe list to
make sure you continue to see our emails in the future.

Manage<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350/1370825190/83979948518/?s=cPBJZ5_-lSnA8MQfBk3YLQqFch7tWMQPRVbTBMmGvaA>
 your preferences | Opt
out<https://t.e2ma.net/optout/srtfyw/090r5ucb?s=lrDWlRm2Ygwe9Fb3D_H3V2Gbp1bEYvUJMdTfBYSUzE8>
 using TrueRemove®
Got this as a forward? Sign
up<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350.1370825190/> to
receive our future emails.
View this email online<https://t.e2ma.net/message/srtfyw/090r5ucb>.

Disclaimer<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/cz48kze> | Privacy
statement<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/sr58kze> | University of
Sydney<https://t.e2ma.net/click/srtfyw/090r5ucb/8j68kze>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: