Hi everyone,

This week's speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is
Caleb Perl, (Australian Catholic University (Melbourne))

The title of the talk is "No convergence on longtermism". Here is an abstract
for the talk:

Longtermists prioritize the far future. They think that when we donate to
relieve suffering, we should only donate to longtermist charities that lower
existential risk – the risk that humanity is wiped out, or locked into an
oppressive equilibrium. For instance, we should donate to deflecting asteroids,
or making AI safe, or something similar - some of Sam Bankman-Fried’s
priorities. Donating to relieve present suffering is wrong. Longtermists argue
that all defensible moral theories converge on longtermism. The only way to
avoid longtermism, they argue, is to discount future people in a way that’s
morally indefensible. This talk shows how one kind of moral theory is
incompatible with longtermism. I then generalize: I suggest that contractualism
and certain kinds of Kantianism would be incompatible with longtermism for
closely related reasons.

The seminar will take place at 3:30pm on Wednesday Sep 4 in the Philosophy
Seminar Room (N494).

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan....@sydney.edu.au

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy
School of Humanities
University of Sydney
ryan....@sydney.edu.au
---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: