Hi everyone,

This week's speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is
David Glick, (University of California, Davis)

The title of the talk is "Quantum location is not indeterminate location". Here
is an abstract for the talk:

It has been argued that quantum mechanics provides the best case for thinking
there is genuine metaphysical indeterminacy. In particular, it seems that the
locations of quantum systems are indeterminate in a way that doesn’t depend on
our representational or epistemic limitations. In this paper, I draw on
concepts from the metaphysics of location to dispel this impression. Using
quantum versions of exact and weak location I distinguish two accounts of
quantum location: the spanner view and the inexact location view. Each account
requires the rejection of an intuitive locative principle, but I argue that
neither gives rise to metaphysical indeterminacy.

The seminar will take place at 3:30pm on Wednesday Sep 18 in the Philosophy
Seminar Room (N494).

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan....@sydney.edu.au

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy
School of Humanities
University of Sydney
ryan....@sydney.edu.au
---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: