Quite simply, assuming my schemas for both ORM's were identical, I'd
like to be able to use propel for some modules and doctrine for the
newer modules I'm developing. I've been told this is not possible but
I can't see why. Any thoughts?

We've spent 5 months coding a site using propel and I now see many
areas where doctrine will suit our needs better. It'd be nice to
transition the code over to doctrine module by module so that we can
have a usable site in the meantime.