I'd recommend you think twice about having PHP serve your CSS files,
it's unnecessary overhead, and won't scale very well.  I'd suggest
looking into a generator solution, where you trigger the css file to be
created, so that your webserver can still serve a static CSS file.  Even
a caching solution requires PHP to sit on top of the CSS request to
determine if it should serve the cached version or generate a new copy.
PHP will always be slower than serving a static file, and PHP will
always put more load on your machine than serving a static file.

I don't know your situation, so perhaps there is a good use case for
what you're proposing, just be aware of the implications of having all
of the Symfony code loaded for at least two requests per pageview (and
be sure you set it up so the browser can still cache the CSS, otherwise
it'll happen with every pageview.)

Jay