The extraction process is done by extractors. We have 2 extractors right
now: a PHP one and a YAML one.

The plugin extracts strings from an application (with extract classes)
and looks for string in:

- global
   - templates (/apps/app/templates)
   - librairies (/apps/app/lib)
- modules:
   - in all PHP files in actions/ lib/ and templates/ directories
   - in generator.yml files (titles, field names, category names, field
help messages)
   - in validate/*.yml files (error messages)

The PHP extractor looks for calls to __() method or function, so it
works with __('') or ->__(''). It also looks for the
format_number_choice() helper. As it's done with the PHP tokenizer, it
works with strings delimited with '', "" and HERDOCS too. Have a look at
unit tests to see all working combinations.

To add some more files, locations, you just have to add some class that
inherits from sfExtract and you can also add some extractors if you need.

The i18n extract framework is very abstracted, so it's quite easy to extend.

Fabien