I can't speak directly to your rsync issues, but I can speak a little
to your virtualization question.

At our company we use VMware server to make virtualized server
environments for each project.  This has worked out great for us:

1) The virtual machines can be pretty small because it doesn't take
much memory or space to run a small development server.

2) The virtual machines can easily be copied, which means that you can
have one central staging server and each developer can have their own
local version of the server which is exactly the same in terms of
software versions and settings.

3) The same virtual machine works fine under Windows and Linux (and
probably OSX as well, although we haven't tried that yet).  You just
connect to a shared folder on your development server using samba (on
Windows) or sshfs (on Linux) and then you can use your preferred tools
and desktop environment, no problem.  Commands that need to be run on
the server are run using an ssh session.

4) It's free (as in beer).

I started out developing on Windows using this setup... after a few
months I was comfortable enough with Linux that I wanted to completely
switch, so now my computer is all Linux... but the virtual machines
are exactly the same either way.  As an added bonus, if you DO decide
to mostly switch to Linux, you can virtualize Windows inside VMware
Server as well.  That works fine but can be a bit tricky since many
computers come with OEM copies of Windows that are locked to the
specific hardware they came with; make sure you research this issue
before going that path (ESPECIALLY if you are using Vista, which has
stricter rules regarding virtualization).

Hope that helps,

David Brewer
Second Story Interactive Studios