1. How many tables do you have? If there are lots of tables then
opcode caching really helps.
2. Whats your server load?
3. Also can you tell your RAM usage....

In my opinion shared hosting is the culprit but still if its a simple
application it should perform well assuming it being an admin backend
there shouldnt be lot of load.

--
w: www.techjini.com | www.cheermyteam.com | www.valuejini.com