What Yahoo! advises against is the bad usage of ETags on web clusters.
An ETag can have has a component for it's calculation the inode number
of the file, which in a web farm will  probably differ between machines.
This is not a problem for a single web server architecture and even in
clusters the ETag configuration can be tweaked not to use inode number
in it's calculation. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other problem
with ETags.

Cheers,
Paulo Magalhaes