Im on Tiger, I have MySQL 5 running fine on one of my Tiger boxes at the
office, and im using 4.1.x here. I used the binary package from mysql.
Assuming they have a Leopard ready version I don't think it will be an
issue.

I think I only used those docs for reference though....

What I did was to:

Install Entropy PHP binary package
Install MySQL binary package
PHP and MySQL to my path
Edit /usr/local/php5/lib/php.ini (Entropy Specific path)
Install Symfony via Pear
Edit /etc/httpd/httpd.conf (default System Install of 1.3 In my case but I
also have a system running on Apache 2.2 that I compiled from source and
installed to /usr/local/Apache2 without any problems)