Hello Jay.

Actually, Google Webmaster Tools are pretty unhappy about sites
without (even empty) robots.txt files. I don't know whether this
affects the ranking in the search engine, but definitely it affects
the frequency of Google crawling your webpage. I have noticed the
frequency to go dramatically down on one of my sites where the robots
txt has not been available for a little over a week, and google
presented me with a lot of messages that it stopped crawling due to a
missing robots.txt.

I was not talking about how to increase a websites rank btw, only how
to exclude pages from being displayed in the search results. Just to
clarify.

Regards
Bernhard