First of all: I don't use sfGuard, but I read the code some while ago
and tested the plugin.

As far as I can guess your problem could be caused by a session
problem. Either you don't have cookies enabled for your test domain,
then a new session will be created on every page load and the user
data will be lost, or the session handling itself does not work as it
should be. Look at your browser preferences and control the existance
of a cookie for your domain named as defined in your settings,
normally "symfony", I believe.