Thanks Ian (see I got your name right this time!),

That's actually great advice. To be honest I try to avoid using
helpers/plugins until I understand fully what they're going to do. I
guess in this instance I was just by the sweet song of the symfony
Ajax Syrens. I'll take you up on your advice though and learn a little
about JS.

Now since this might get slightly off topic I'll be brief: do you (or
anyone else) recommend prototype over any other library?