Thanks Jill, not quite what I was after but thanks anyway.

Basically, in the 'list' view I've created a new partial column
"has_attribute_x" which (obviously) corresponds to getHasAttributeX()
in my actions. That method does nothing more than:

public function getHasAttributeX()
{
   return $this->getAttributeX() ? true : false;
}

...so what I'd like to achieve on the List view is a simple indication
of whether or not a record has attribute x, in the same way that the
list view presents boolean fields. At the moment the list view just
shows '1' or null for that partial column.

Sorry, hopefully that's a bit more clear.