Drupal is great for one thing, CMS websites. As soon as you go outside of
that it becomes increasingly difficult and cumbersome to accomplish custom
functionality. I am not arguing that the same end product cannot be
accomplished, I am purely speaking from a point of view whether it makes
sense or not. PHP covers a wide array of scale when it comes to web
applications, which is why so many different tools exist. You have to ask
yourself how much custom functionality you will need to build in addition to
the native cms functionality you inherit from Drupal. If the answer is none,
then I would recommend using Drupal, if the answer is yes then you'll have
to gauge how much, how difficult and whether or not you can afford the cost
of doing something custom in Drupal. If it is very custom, the cost could
end up being greater than just doing it in symfony, and could be more
expensive and difficult to maintain.

- Jon

--
Jonathan Wage