I feel the same as Jon. If you have a really complex application Eclipse can be invaluable for the automatic API hinting, code versioning (the merge/diff editor in Subclipse is brillant!), debug, and general code inspection. But if what youre doing is fairly lightweight like theming a cms or building something out of Symfony plugins or something on this level Textmate is jsut too efficient. Eclipse doesn't stand a chance. Ive taken to using Textmate for things where Im jsut theming or making a simple application. When it comes to writing plugins or working on something huge I generally break out Eclipse. When i switch to 1.1 I'll also probably use Eclipse exclusively at first to help me learn all the new stuff as I go and remind me of the API changes.

On Fri May 2 07:42 , 'Jonathan Wage' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:
I like it b/c it is so powerful yes so lightweight. It has the best shortcuts for being efficient in your editor, it has some great bundles which integrate with svn and lots of other stuff.

I recently gave Eclipse PDT another try because I really liked the ability to walk through the code execution with xdebug, but the amount I need that feature is not everyday, so it does not justify using Eclipse full time. Plus, I had issues with Eclipse crashing, so I went back to textmate as my primary editor.

- Jon

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Franks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> but despite being totally in love with Eclipse I still like Textmate
> better
exciting! but what is it that makes textmate so popular?

--
Jonathan Wage
http://www.jwage.com